Summer Moon – Checkerboard Block

This has been a project that has been on the back-burner for a while. I have had several other blocks of the month that I was wanting to work on prior to working on this one again. Part of the reason is I was really dreading this block. I think I have 6 each of 9 more blocks, 54 or so blocks left to make. Give or take a few.


I finally decided to bite the bullet and get it done. I did, however, draft it in EQ8 so that I could make foundation paper for the blocks. I definitely was NOT going to make this without paper piecing. I really despise square-in-square blocks without paper piecing.

This quilt will eventually come together. I would love to make one set of blocks a week, but realistically it takes about two weekends to work on the 6 blocks since they are so labor intensive. My piecing has gotten better with my new Janome 6700 – so maybe it won’t be as difficult to piece the remaining blocks.

Large #1

This is my first large checkerboard block. I love how the pinks and greys are together.

This is my second large block for Checkerboard. I stayed with the green/pink/dark blue combo.

Large #2
Medium #1

This is my Medium #1 block. I see that I messed up on the placement, but it is going to stay.

This is my Medium #2 block.

Medium #2

Small #1

This is my small #1 block. The frame is not one from the book, but one that I did in the “style” of the quilt to add more variet.

Lastly, this is my Small block #2. Another that is not a frame from the book, but rather one I did in the “Style of” Summer moon.

Related Images:

My Sewing Room: Before

I thought I would share a quick post about my sewing room. I cleaned it really well this last weekend so the cleaners could get in to mop and dust really well. All in anticipation that my Dreambox and Sew Station will finally arrive soon. It has been on order since March.

I know you ate saying, “but didn’t you get custom shelves built fot your closet”? Yes I did. But it turns out that that was not enough space for my stuff. A lot still remains in my garage since our move last summer (2020).

My room is small, just 10 x 11. I just walked in and spun in a circle and snapped some photos quickly after the cleaners were in there for mopping and dusting. I just wanted to document the “before”.

Looking out of the room from center. My TV.
Going counter-clockwise, where I see and my pressing station.
My cutting station.
By the closet door. My makeshift design wall
My printer. It is a large-format printer.
Bookcase with books and magazines

Going Batty

I’ve decided that I would participate in the Fat Quarter Shop’s quilt-along for Bats and Boos. I will admit to being a bit behind though. Life, as always gets in the way. I bought the kit from FQS. It came with the black spiderweb fabric instead of the black bat fabric – I purchased that separately.

I started last weekend and got the bats done.

One of four identical bat blocks

This weekend I had all intentions of completing the top, but then life happened. I had vasvular surgery last month so I had to have a followup angiogram on Friday. I had a bad reaction to the contrast material and spent Friday night in the ER. Saturday was spent not trying to itch my back because of the hives all over it. I am just happy it happened on a weekend so I didn’t have to work too! The itching finally subsided on Sunday.

Yesterday, I finished the pumpkins. They were a bit tedious, but they turned out ok.

One of four pumpkin blocks

That is all I have for now. I decided last minute to change my borders from the pattern. I had to order a little more fabric, so now I wait.

Custom Closet Shelves

For years I have wanted custom shelving to store my quilting fabrics and supplies. I never could get them since we moved alot due to my husband being in the military

A bit over q year ago, we purchased our first house and my dream of custom shelves became a reality. First, we removed the carpet in the study and replaced it with that matched the rest of the house. This took a while since the tile was on backorder due to the pandemic starting up. Once the tile was completed, it was time to plan the shelves. Luckily, my awesome father-in-law does this for a living. We ordered the pieces for the shelves and once they finally came in, they were put together and installed over several weekends.

COVID made it where it took awhile for it to come to fruition, but finally, the shelves were completed.

Looking into the closet from the room.

A lot is going on here. The blue totes on the very top are completed quilts organized by theme. The clear plastic totes are larger projects that have been started. The black boxes are smaller projects/more recent projects that have been started. Above the boxes is some yardage.

Far left looking into the closet

This section is for my paper crafts and my massive amounts of cardstock.

Left of center

These 8 totes each hold multiple ziploc bags of projects waiting to start. I may or may not have a problem. At least I have enough fabric for a while!

Drawers, left of center

These drawers hold various items. They hold my precuts, my pens and markers for paper crafts, etc.

Right of center

This is most of my yardage. There is no rhyme or reason to the order right now, I was just getting it put our and have not organized it yet.

Right of center

These are my smaller projects. Eventually I will make some better labels for the boxes to stick in the slots, but for now the sticky strip works.

Far right of center

This is the rest of my yardage including my large bolts of Bella solids.

Far right of center

Lastly, these totes are my quilt tops awaiting to be quilted. Like I said. I have a problem. At least I won’t run out of something to work on.