Joy in the Journey

Saturday was National Sew a Jelly Roll day. I decided to participate, but I wanted to use something from my stash. The main reason was because I didn’t find out about it until the middle of the week. The other reason is that I have so much stash fabric, that I really didn’t need to buy anything.

I had a mini jelly roll (Robert Kauffman calls them Rollie Pollies) from a Sew Sampler box a few months ago. I also had bought a yard of fabric for binding when I got it as I do with most of the fabric I like and plan to keep so I at least have binding in the fabric line. I have several moda Bella whites on the bolt that I keep on hand. I don’t really like to mix fabric manufacturer types, but I wanted to use stash.

stack of completed blocks

I just winged the pattern. I love adding my borders in this partial seam method. It really is quite simple to achieve this look. Maybe soon I will post a tutorial.

Small throw size quilt

The top is finished. I did have to buy a little bit for backing. I think it will make a cute gift

lable

This is the label I made /used with one of my Sweetwater labels.

Strawberry Jam

The June 2019 Fat Quarter Shop’s Sew Sampler had a cute charm pack of fabric from Corey Yoder and a two bonus patterns from the book Sunday Best Quilts by Corey Yoder and Sherri L. McConnell. Instead of a pillow, I decided to make a small wall hanging. For the setting triangles and border

Strawberry Jam

For one of the pillows, I saw that there was going to be leftover strips, so I did some math and figured I could get 4 of the same sized strips from one charm square. I also figured that I could make 56 blocks with the strips. This setting only needed 50.

I like pieced backs and I did not buy enough fabric for binding and backing.

A pieced back

For the pieced strip on the backing, I used the leftover squares that were approximately 1.5″. I didn’t want to cut a whole bunch of 1.5″ white squares, so I cut a strip and sewed the squares to the strip. I then pressed them away from the strip.

A strip full of squares

I then cut the strips flush with one of the edges to seperate them. I did not worry about trimming the other side.

Trim the squares

After all the blocks were cut off the strip, I then matched the trimmed sides to make a four-patch unit

Match the trimmed size

I then trimmed the wonky edges off

Time to trim

I then used the Itty Bitty Eighths ruler. Look how cool it is:

What a cool ruler!

I even prepped the binding :

Cute binding