Summer Moon – Checkerboard Block

This has been a project that has been on the back-burner for a while. I have had several other blocks of the month that I was wanting to work on prior to working on this one again. Part of the reason is I was really dreading this block. I think I have 6 each of 9 more blocks, 54 or so blocks left to make. Give or take a few.


I finally decided to bite the bullet and get it done. I did, however, draft it in EQ8 so that I could make foundation paper for the blocks. I definitely was NOT going to make this without paper piecing. I really despise square-in-square blocks without paper piecing.

This quilt will eventually come together. I would love to make one set of blocks a week, but realistically it takes about two weekends to work on the 6 blocks since they are so labor intensive. My piecing has gotten better with my new Janome 6700 – so maybe it won’t be as difficult to piece the remaining blocks.

Large #1

This is my first large checkerboard block. I love how the pinks and greys are together.

This is my second large block for Checkerboard. I stayed with the green/pink/dark blue combo.

Large #2
Medium #1

This is my Medium #1 block. I see that I messed up on the placement, but it is going to stay.

This is my Medium #2 block.

Medium #2

Small #1

This is my small #1 block. The frame is not one from the book, but one that I did in the “style” of the quilt to add more variet.

Lastly, this is my Small block #2. Another that is not a frame from the book, but rather one I did in the “Style of” Summer moon.

Related Images:

Going Batty

I’ve decided that I would participate in the Fat Quarter Shop’s quilt-along for Bats and Boos. I will admit to being a bit behind though. Life, as always gets in the way. I bought the kit from FQS. It came with the black spiderweb fabric instead of the black bat fabric – I purchased that separately.

I started last weekend and got the bats done.

One of four identical bat blocks

This weekend I had all intentions of completing the top, but then life happened. I had vasvular surgery last month so I had to have a followup angiogram on Friday. I had a bad reaction to the contrast material and spent Friday night in the ER. Saturday was spent not trying to itch my back because of the hives all over it. I am just happy it happened on a weekend so I didn’t have to work too! The itching finally subsided on Sunday.

Yesterday, I finished the pumpkins. They were a bit tedious, but they turned out ok.

One of four pumpkin blocks

That is all I have for now. I decided last minute to change my borders from the pattern. I had to order a little more fabric, so now I wait.

Some Fabric Therapy

Lisa Bongean of Primative Gatherings is hosting a sew-along to benefit Hogs for Heroes. I had to sew along with them. I have been fighting purchasing more fabric unless it is to finish a quilt or that goes with something I have already purchased.

This one called to me. Plain and simple. I purchased the large fat quarter bundle and cleared the decks to start work on this one.

If you want to join in, head on over to Lisa Bongean’s blog. The blocks are free, but she does ask for a donation to support Hogs for Heroes. Her goal is to raise $25K, to get one Hog, but wouldn’t it be wonderful if she could get double that?

A Very Coriander Christmas… catching up

I spent this past week catching up with some of the block of the months that I have been a little behind in. One of them was A Very Coriander Christmas. I completed blocks 4 & 5. Block 6 will probably be mailed out this week.

Bock 4 – Holiday Cheer

Block Information:

Block Name

Part of Quilt:

Pattern Designer:

Fabric Used:

Date Finished:

Size:

Holiday Cheer

A Very Coriander Christmas

Coriander Quilts

Holliberry by Corey Yoder

January 4, 2021

18.5″ unfinished


Block 5 – Share a Smile

Block Information:

Block Name

Part of Quilt:

Pattern Designer:

Fabric Used:

Date Finished:

Size:

Share a Smile

A Very Coriander Christmas

Coriander Quilts

Holliberry by Corey Yoder

January 7, 2021

18.5″ unfinished